Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Book List #4 - The Stuff I Read for Fun and Enrichment

Here is the final list of books that I like. This time, it is all about what I enjoy reading or that which has taught me something I needed to know or change or serves as a personal reference. This list is varied.

The list contains fiction and non-fiction. I am sure you can find one of these you would like or agree with me on as to importance.


  • Downbelow Station - by C. J. Cherryh: This particular book is an awesome ride through time and space and how people could be easily left cut off from everything. I particularly like the character of Signey Mallory who turns sides in the book to do the right thing. This book has personalities, military, star faring economics, politics, big business, factions, twists, turns... well... everything that makes a sci fi book a great read. Probably my favorite sci fi book of all time.
  • Alliance Space - by C. J. Cherryh: See above, more Signey Mallory and Alliance Space side of the conflict. This book is actually two novels: Merchanter's Luck and 40,000 in Gehenna.
  • Starship Troopers - by Robert Heinlein: Do not judge this book by the movie (although I loved the movie too), the book is far more in-depth. An all out high end space battle for the survival of man kind. The part I like the best is the political type of government set up in the beginning of the book (and the history of how Earth got that way).
  • A Pirate Looks at 50 - by Jimmy Buffett: A non-fiction autobiography of Jimmy Buffett. Stories from throughout his life and how and why his encounters molded him. 
  • The Winning Dad - by Stan Toler/Jerry Brecheisen: A great book on being a Dad. If I can ever accomplish fifty percent of the ways and means in this book, I would be a far better father. All I can do is continue to do my best. 
  • The Darwin Awards (multiple books/volumes): No... I do not believe in Evolution and personally think Darwin was clueless to scientific method. These books have nothing to do with evolution, but they do prove that stupidity only has one cure... death. These books are a riot. Many would disagree with that statement... face it, I am jaded by 31 years in EMS. When I read these stories of people doing crazy things that lead to their own demise, it reminds me of many of the things I see on the ambulance. Understand that as EMS people, we have to have a strange sense of humor and force ourselves to laugh at the horrible. It is a defense mechanism... otherwise we will find ourselves sitting in a corner, rocking back and forth, saying "nani, nani... nani."
  • The Planiverse - by A. K. Dewdney: I found this book a long time ago. It is about computer alien contact with a two-dimensional race. The book and it's illustrations will hurt your brain on trying to comprehend a two-dimensional world. I think math addicts would love this book too. The problems associated with life in 2D would be complex. 
  • Decision Points - George W. Bush: Let me start by saying I really like George Bush and think
    he was a great president (let the hate mail begin). My family did well under his administration and my values were for the most part protected. This book tells, in his words, why he made the decisions he made. It is a great read.
  • Fahrenheit 451 - by Ray Bradbury: Instead of starting the first fire department in colonial days, in this alternative timeline, Benjamin Franklin starts the first fire department to burn books. After all, knowledge in the hands of the public is dangerous (sarcasm from me). It takes place in a late 20th century time frame with the world on the verge of nuclear war as homes are burned to the ground for simply having books.
  • The Lord of the Rings (series) - by J. R. R. Tolkien: Do I have to even say anything? Really? I could read these again and again. I think I have been through the series six or seven times.
  • Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter - by Seth Grahame-Smith: The movie was horrid. The book is a roller coaster ride. Smith does a great job of suspension of disbelief in this book. Plus there is a background of history in the book that makes it actually educational within the fictional
    tale. The ending will blow your mind (not used in the movie which is now where even close to the book).
  • The Dragon Riders of Pern (series) - by Anne McCaffrey: I do not even remember how many books are in this series, but all are excellent and dive into the aspects of the lives of many across a long timeline on the world of Pern. The books read like fantasy but ends up being pure sci fi.
  • Getting Things Done - by David Allen: This is the best, and most simple book on organization and follow through I have ever read. If you are a manager, read it. Recommended to me by the principal of New Tech High School a few years ago. Glad I read it. He made his students read it. Good decision on his part. 


These several bear repeating from the other three lists as I find them staples of reference for my faith or for living life:



  • The Holy Bible (ESV preferred): From my perspective, the ESV is the most accurate translation available. Sola Scriptura. The Word of God. It contains the Law and Gospel, gives us the only thing we really need by showing us the Savior and our own inadequacy from Genesis to Revelation.
  • The Book of Concord: The Lutheran Confessions: This is doctrine I can grasp and believe in. If you like theological study, rad it, regardless of your beliefs. You will ask questions.
  • The Lutheran Service Book: I like liturgy. My son likes liturgy. Enough said?
  • Baden-Powell: Two Lives of a Hero: Just the best biography I have ever read. I like people who think, then do and continue to make an impact. Leaving a legacy is important. Baden-Powell did that. He never stopped. He rarely said no.


This is just a short list of books, but ones that I find special. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. If you read one book of one of these four lists, I will feel that I have served the purpose of these four blogs. Sharing insights is important. I hope mine have shown you something you can use or just an insight into me.

That said... what would YOU like to see me write on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to discussion and views. Please remember to be polite. Thanks!