Tuesday, November 11, 2014

An Hour That Will Not Be Forgotten... Veteran's Day 2014

In a way, I guess I approached today a little too operationally. After all, my mind was preoccupied. There was the blown engine in my wife's vehicle over the weekend. Then my car started having issues last night. Luckily it was a simple repair today as my wife's car was being towed to get an engine from another not so lucky, wrecked Honda Odyssey.

Just a little preoccupied...

I had to go pick up some Scouts and flags and get them over to link up with the rest of our Boy Scout Troop at our local Healthsouth Deaconess Rehabilitation Hospital. The plan was simple. We were going to have the boys go into the rooms of the in-patient veterans with our full size United States and Indiana flags, give each veteran a small flag, thank them for their service, salute them then exit their room. We were going to do this for every veteran in the hospital.

We arrived and were greeted in the lobby by employees and management of the facility. The Troop was given a pep talk by one of the managers on what Veteran's Day stood for and how important these people were to our history and way of life.

I get it. I feel like I always have... I have always been one to support our military and our veterans... without question. We owe our way of life to the fact that they protected our freedoms. The veterans that I am used to being around are mainly from recent conflicts. Many are younger than me.

I had never really been around many of our older veterans, especially those who are advanced in age and are suffering from ailments and injuries.

That came home in me tonight.


We visited with thirteen in-patient veterans at the facility and two employees who were veterans as well. We performed as planned with the Senior Patrol Leader calling the youth to attention in or in front of each room and then giving a salute to the bed ridden or wheelchair bound veteran. Marines, Army, Army Air Corps, Air Force and Navy were represented in this collection of patients.

Many saluted back. Several wept under the recognition. Some told of us of their service in WWII over 70 years ago. Many served in Korea or Vietnam, others more recently in the middle east.

They were all appreciative of the recognition, but as the Scoutmaster (a veteran himself) and I watched, the boys became appreciative of the moments also.

Several of these men told the scouts to be strong and never be afraid even though they might feel the fear. They were told that whatever they do, they should do it well and do their best. They were told stories of local Boy Scout camps now long closed. They heard how many of these veterans were Life or Eagle Scouts.

Our Scouts were, quiet and respectful, only speaking to say various forms of "thank yous" and delivering salutes while placing flags in withered hands.

The Scouts learned quickly of the importance of this detail as did I. I have always held these men in high regard, but now to see them in the twilight of their lives, now recovering from a variety of healthcare issues, now changed my view even more. They cannot be forgotten. Not in any way or at any time.

There are no pictures of these veterans here. Being in a healthcare facility, privacy dictates that we not show them. But you can see them in your mind's eye... lying in bed or sitting in a wheelchair.

Men that once defended this great nation being visited by youth one fifth their age that have no frame of reference as to what they have been through. Seeing the tears flow made me realize that we must actively do things for our veterans. We must actively show our appreciation.

The Scouts of Troop 310 will remember this day. One Scout remarked to me that this service project was "deep." I will say that it was deep also. It was very insightful. We immediately agreed to do this again each year. It is a small gesture with big implication and we will take it on.

Tomorrow is not Veteran's Day. Do not wait until this day in 2015. Thank a veteran and show appreciation every day. The freedom you have today is because of their sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to discussion and views. Please remember to be polite. Thanks!