Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Living Through a Scoutmaster Minute

This will be a fairly short blog entry... I am not feeling well and have been working on a migraine all evening (the tip of my nose is currently numb...), and I still have a few other things I want to get done tonight before falling into a mild coma.

But this is one I want to get out... A few nights ago in my medic class I did an exercise that I think I learned a long time ago from Mike Taigman. When you do the exercise, you pick four different aspects of yourself and you describe these four people as if they are patients they would encounter. Based on these simple descriptions of likes, hobbies, income and attire, you ask those participating to extrapolate on each patient. At the end of the exercise, you explain that they are all actually you, just different aspects and tally up what they had right or wrong about the personalities.

Its an exercise on judgmental attitudes when given very little information except for a snapshot or initial visual impression.

Apparently I did not listen to myself when I presented this a few nights ago.

I was in a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market about 90 minutes ago, standing in the cookie isle, lamenting internally about wanting something sweet. Of course, I do not need it and must continue on track with my weight loss. I was there for Ibuprofen for my wife's post-dental work pain. Now mind you, this was immediately following our Boy Scout Troop meeting. I am in my adult leader uniform, covered with patches, purple neckerchief, Woodbadge beads, Philmont belt... you get the point... 50 year old guy in a BSA uniform.

In EMS, and other first responder vocations, we are taught to have situational awareness and be on guard. It becomes second nature. It's almost a preservation response. You see something that fits certain parameters and your index of suspicion goes up and with it your fight or flight responses become prepared.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone in a leather jacket, slight of build and muscular with a blue bandana tightly tied around the top of his head. Given the neighborhood, time of night and what little I saw of the individual, my first thought was the possibility of gang involvement... the blue or red is sometimes an indicator, or sometimes it is just an indicator of a gang "wannabe" as well.

Either way, His attire tripped my "spidey senses" so to speak. I did not turn, but was acutely aware he was walking behind me.

He stopped behind me. I just kept looking at the cookies wondering if maybe this was going to be the one time I would become the target of an assault.

From behind me I heard:

"Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent."

I turned to look now. He was older than his build had led me to believe, between 45 and 50 also. He was smiling. I smiled back.

He said, "We come in all sorts of views don't we?"

"Yes, we do," I replied rather simply, already mentally kicking myself based on my career-centered adrenergic reaction.

He smiled, turned and quickly proceeded around the corner.

I would have never guessed from his attire, and certainly not without a closer look (at more than just the outside) that this man had been a scout. His politeness and smile only added to the proof.

I ran into him again on my way out and said in passing, "Have a wonderful Evening."

"You too, my friend!"

I paid for my Ibuprofen and left. I also knew I was going to share this too. With all the issues and garbage we have going on in the world right now, it all just adds to our ability to dismiss others. As Christians, Scouts, Humans, etc... we have to communicate and show concern. We must do it in passing and we must do it when we disagree as well. Respect, care and concern for those around us makes it easier to lessen snap judgments and start talking.

If some of you Scoutmaster's out there don't use this for a Scoutmaster Minute, you are missing an easy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to discussion and views. Please remember to be polite. Thanks!