Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Four Things Every EMS Provider Needs...

I will probably raise some ire with this one.

I am sure some opinions will get ruffled. Some will not agree with me and that is fine. Let me start by saying that this particular post is purely my opinion... opinion based on 32 years of EMS experience in the field, education, quality management and governmental oversight. Take it or leave it, your choice, but these are four products I have to talk about.

Again, these are my opinions and not representative of any organization real or imagined.

I-Gel

First off lets start simple. Simple is better right? How about simple and inexpensive? Even better? Lets talk about the I-Gel airway from Intersurgical.

I first heard of this airway about 13 months ago. I have now recently been involved in an implementation of this wonderfully simplistic tool. If you have ever been involved with an EOA, EGTA, PTLA, Combi-Tube or Easy-Tube, you have been through years of stair stepped airway "advances." Each of the airways above have demonstrated one or more issues that have usually made them a little less than ideal. Cuff issues on some, rigid parts that can damage soft tissue with others. Even storage issues on EMS rigs and equipment are pretty prevalent.

Then along comes I-Gel. Select the size based on weight. Take it out of the package, lubricate it along the posterior and lateral sides (the package of the "Resus" pack is perfect for this) with the enclosed lubricant. Insert it in the airway. Then use the enclosed strap to secure the airway with the proper positional pressure to help assure a good seal with the pliable, adherent gel like cuff. Best part? No inflation! As a matter of fact the cuff is solid. It warms a bit and becomes adherent around the glottis opening after insertion.

After seven weeks of use, I know a lot of EMS folks that love this thing. You literally can have a patent airway in about 30 seconds. Dramatically cheaper than all of the other past options as well. Product of the year in my book.

I like the "Resus" package myself. Everything in one place.

http://www.i-gel.com/igel-o2-resus

Handtevy Pediatrics System

I am not going to spend a lot of time writing about this one. Go to the link below and watch the video on that web page, then look at the customizable EMS package details below the video in the options.

If after watching this you still think the Broselow Tape is the best, most worthwhile tool out there, I will simply think you are a bit warped.

Dr. Peter Antevy is not only a great speaker at conferences like EMS State of the Sciences Conference and at NAEMSP, he is the designer of this awesome pediatric care system and an EMS Medical Director.

http://www.pediatricemergencystandards.com/


Ferno INX 

I have worked with a lot of cots. Fernos... Strykers... they all move patients. Some models better than others. I am still partial to the old Ferno 29M and the Stryker MX-Pro.

As those close to me know, I have zero love for the Stryker Power Pro. To me they are just plain too heavy to get to patients, not very ergonomic for the job we do (unless you happen to be on flat, hard, clean surfaces all day), and top heavy. I will not keep going on this one, I simply do not like working with them. I think they are simply not designed for helping me get patients out of residences quickly and with only one tool. The powered up and down is nice, but 95% of the job is lateral work sometimes involving a modicum of stairs. It is harder to load than an MX-Pro as well (at least without the additional cot loading system). Sometimes I have to work with them and I deal with it.

I might be a bit sensitive because I have recently had to drag them through ice and snow. Much harder to navigate over rough terrain than the older Stryker MX-Pro.

Enter the Ferno INX. I have been watching this cot since I saw a video on a laptop at NASEMSO nearly about two years ago. I played with it at EMS State of the Sciences last week.

I will just say this. It loads without a cot loading system. It can illuminate the ground around the cot in poor lighting conditions (worth its weight in gold right there). It seems to be far more stable and easier to manage. It can even be used in a variety of ways to maneuver obstacles on scene.

I have no clue on how it holds up and I know its pricey, but from an operability standpoint, this medic is in love.

Stryker... you may have just been passed in the ambulance cot design game. Check this one out.

 
Tempus Pro
 
Again, EMS folks that know me also know that I am a raving Physio-Control fan. I have in-depth studied every EMS monitor/defibrillator out there and been involved in design focus groups and evaluation panels. I love the LP15 as a daily use tool and the service and dedication offered by Physio-Control. I do not want to detract from Physio in any way with this entry, but I want to talk about a product for a slightly different application.


Are you looking for a way to break into pre-hospital telemedicine? What about video laryngoscopy? Did you hear about the discussions on prehospital ultrasound and the variety of ways it can be used at the 2015 State of the Sciences conference? Is data collection important to you (that answer better be yes)?

What if I told you that you can get all of this and more in the Tempus Pro... a military hardened piece of electronic equipment built to be very versatile and adaptable to need? Need invasive monitoring capability for critical care? Its in there. How about a glove operable touch screen? Yep. A Community Paramedicine platform? Yeah... it fits the bill. How about an ePCR product built in? You guessed it. 12-lead? No brainer.

The one drawback with this unit is that it is not a defibrillator/pacer. If it had those, it might just cause me to re-evaluate my allegiance to another name brand. Check this out:

http://www.rdtltd.com/emspre-hospital/ Be sure and look at the "monitoring and Functionality" and "Patient Records" tabs on this page.
 
So... you want to look at some stuff that can really affect your quality? Spend some time investigating one or two of the items above. Two are very pricey... the other two not so much.
 
What is sure is that all four of these items have tremendous ability to affect patient outcomes. If you truly investigate or invest in any of these, I would like to know your results. I have experience with the I-Gel, and hope to see the other three in action at some point.
 
Hope this helps you look at some new ways to deliver quality patient care.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to discussion and views. Please remember to be polite. Thanks!