Monday, April 22, 2013

Soli Deo Gloria

On several occasions while extrapolating within the confines of the 4F blog, I have mentioned the "Five Solas." I want to take a moment and key in on one of them. My intent here will be to show examples and keep my comments in between very succinct and to the point.

"Soli Deo Gloria" or "Gloria to God alone."

I asked my four-year-old daughter, Rhiannon, to help me with this particular entry. I searched for images of “God.” I asked her to look at these and pick the ones that she thought most looked like God to her. In this experiment, I had no theory in mind on the front end; however I did wonder whether she would lean toward the visually powerful depictions, divine or even toward pictures of Jesus. There turned out to be a theme in what she picked (and I have included those pictures so that you might see).

Out of the three pictures that she picked, two of these artistic renditions were of Christ in His
Ree's First Pick
glorified state. Another shows God and the Ark of the Covenant (clearly a powerful depiction).

So many times these days we hear someone wondering:

“What is my purpose?”

“What am I supposed to be doing with my life?”

“Am I doing what I am supposed to be doing?”

“Am I good enough?”

“Nothing that I do seems important?”

And there are a ton of new age mystics, feel-good preachers, escapist activities and issue generating fanatics to throw answers back in return. In reality, what does the whole of scripture define our purpose to be?


Ree's Second Pick

Our purpose here on Earth? I think the mission of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod says it very well in summation: “In grateful response to God’s grace and empowered by the Holy Spirit through Word and Sacraments, the mission of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod is vigorously to make known the love of Christ by word and deed within our churches, communities and the world.”
As a member of the church, I closely associate with this purpose and its scripture-based truth. It is fairly easy for most of us to look through the whole of scripture and come up with a summation thought such as the one above for our lives (and particularly referring to the church as well).
But what about our purpose throughout eternity?
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” – Romans 8:28
“And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.” Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and

Ree's Third Pick
wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!”  And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, “To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!”  And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” and the elders fell down and worshiped.”  -Revelations 5:8-14

Our purpose is to the glory of God alone. All that we do… all that we can do… is only enabled by the power of God. And not one good thing can come of our actions or deeds unless for the purposes of His will.

“For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.” – Romans 7:18
So, here I dwell. My purpose, as a living, breathing creation of God, and that will continue in the form designated by Him after my physical death is simply to glorify Him. Look at the below complexity describing the Trinity and the overall feeling of a glory too great for words to describe:
“For the Father is one person, the Son is another, and the Holy Spirit is another. But the Godhead of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit is one: the glory equal, the majesty coeternal. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Spirit: the Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, the Holy Spirit uncreated; the Father infinite, the Son infinite, the Holy Spirit infinite; the Father eternal, the Son eternal, the Holy Spirit eternal. And yet there are not three Eternals, but one Eternal, just as there are not three Uncreated or three Infinites, but one Uncreated and one Infinite. In the same way, the Father is almighty, the Son almighty, the Holy Spirit almighty; and yet there are not three Almighties, but one Almighty. So the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Spirit is God; and yet there are not three Gods, but one God. So the Father is Lord, the Son is Lord, the Holy Spirit is Lord; and yet there are not three Lords, but one Lord.” –Excerpt from the Anthanasian Creed (5th-6th Century AD).

We use the word “glory” a lot in Christianity. But if we are to glorify God, just what are we to be doing, both now and later in His presence? We glorifying him by worship and being a servant to His tasks and His commands and being about… well… and I use this word reluctantly… about His WORK.

I understand that I just alluded to works. Just remember that this exposition is about “Glory to God Alone” not glory to us and our self. I am not alluding to the value of works toward our salvation. “Sola Gratia” and “Sola Fide” may be covered later. I am describing the fact that we glorify God by being an instrument of His will.

Crown Him with many crowns, the Lamb upon His throne.
Hark! How the heavenly anthem drowns all music but its own.
Awake, my soul, and sing of Him who died for thee,
And hail Him as thy matchless King through all eternity.
Crown Him the Lord of Heaven, enthroned in worlds above,
Crown Him the King to Whom is given the wondrous name of Love.
Crown Him with many crowns, as thrones before Him fall;
Crown Him, ye kings, with many crowns, for He is King of all.
-Verses 1 & 5, “Crown Him With Many Crowns,” Public Domain, LSB 525 Concordia Publishing House
For in the end we know what will happen. One infallible truth is that at a point in the future there will be a moment when all will realize the power and the glory of God:
“Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” - Philippians 2:9-11, ESV
I do not quote that as a scare tactic. I quote it as an answer to the questions first listed above. What should we be doing? What the Word instructs us to do.
Our purpose is His purpose. No more, no less. Sin clouds our judgment and our effectiveness at this task while on Earth. It will not cloud our judgment in glory.
The reason I asked Rhiannon to pick the “pictures” that most reminded her of God was that I wanted to see how a four-year old views God. I think what was relayed was far more powerful than what I would have thought. I expected her to pick a picture of a “nice, friendly Jesus.”
Alas, no… she picked ones with radiance, crowns and power.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever…

Some Links:
Listen to Tracks 6 and 7 (Altar and the Door & Somewhere in the Middle)
Listen to Track 2 (Praise You in the Storm)
Doing good...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to discussion and views. Please remember to be polite. Thanks!