Thursday, June 13, 2013

Let me tell you about Evansville Lutheran Troop 310...

This will be a tough one for me.

It will be difficult, in anything short of a book, to describe the last three years of building a new Boy Scout Troop. The story of the start is nothing short of knowingly climbing on board a roller coaster. This whole thing started over a year before we got close to actually launching.

We were in the process of changing churches. We were driving almost thirty miles round-trip to church on Sundays. We were all set to visit St. Paul's Lutheran Church which was about four miles from our home. We were set to go there the next Sunday... but the weekend before, we had been visiting a few Boy Scout Troops trying to figure out where my son was going to go when he finished the Cub Scout Webelo program.

We had just gotten in the car after visiting a Troop. My ten-year-old son Michael then asked, "Dad? Are there any Lutheran troops?"

"Not locally, no."

Silence for a few minutes.

"Why?" He asked.

I said, "Not sure... from what I understand, the last one in the area folded about thirty or forty years ago. I think it was at Redeemer." Not too sure of the facts on the time frame, but it was what I had heard.

Michael and I at Philmont the summer
before he asked about starting a Troop
More silence.

His eyes brightened. "WE SHOULD START ONE!"

I lost it. I am sure my voice raised at least a third higher. "Are you nuts? Do you know how much work it is to start a Boy Scout Troop?" I had taken Woodbadge in 2006 and had heard the stories from those who had started units.The wife and I were fresh from having just led the revitalization of a fifty year old Cub Scout Pack (that I had attended as a child in 1971). If you have ever been led into adult Scouting with the phrase "It is only one hour a week," then you know what was racing through my head.

He did not look too disappointed at my reaction, so he dropped it... until the next day. He brought it up a few more times the next day. Each time, I gave him a reason as to why this was simply not possible.

The day following shook my world. I got a call from a gentleman that had attended a Cubmaster training program I had helped teach. Just so happened that he was the Cubmaster of a fairly new Cub Scout Pack... at St. Paul's Lutheran. He called to ask a question: "Have you ever thought about starting a Lutheran Boy Scout Troop?"

He might have thought I had hung up on him for a moment.

The words just came out... not as I wanted them too... "My son and I were just discussing that yesterday."

The discussion was only about ten minutes long. I told him we could speak more this coming Sunday because we were already planning on attending the church where he was a member. I prayed.

People talk of being led to do something. Nothing like a child's idea coming to fruition with the call of a person I barely knew, from a church I was already planning to attend... all in less than 48 hours.

I had recently told myself that I was not going to say no to things asked of me (which I had conveniently forgotten when Michael asked about starting a troop). I met with the Pack Committee of Evansville Lutheran Pack 310, chartered through the school ran by St. Paul's Lutheran and the Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer. It was going to happen.

We just needed members. Boys who in this age of blue-tooth headphone online role-playing might actually want to start a fire, cook a meal, pitch a tent, catch a fish, hike and shoot a bow... and learn duty to God and Country. Plus this was a chance to do it in a place I wanted to be to begin with... within the LCMS.

The BSA requires five boys to start a unit. I prayed again.

The first sign-up meeting failed. Two boys attended. But... they were solid. They wanted in. We waited a couple of months and tried again. We got four. I prayed again.

I wondered if it was a bit selfish, but I wanted my son in a troop at his church. I wanted to work within the church and with Scouting.

We got permission from the local council to start with the four we had as long as I wrote a plan to get more boys involved. The very first Troop meeting we got the fifth boy. Three months later we got six more.

That seems like a lifetime ago. In August, it will have only been three years.

People would inquire about joining. I distinctly remember a call from a Lutheran Pastor who was moving to the area and had a son in Scouting and another preparing to turn eleven who might be joining. I think that was in late 2011, cannot remember. I do remember telling him that we did not have much equipment yet, but we were trying. I did tell him two things... that we were distinctly Lutheran and that what we lacked in Equipment we made up for in Patrol Method.

We are truly a "boy led" unit. Those boys decide what we do. They lead their patrols. We mildly nudge them (as adult leaders) to succeed and we sometimes let them fail (so that they learn).

Here it is 2013. Where are we today?



  • We have been a "Gold" level unit award winner for 2011 and 2012 in BSA's Journey to Excellence program. 
  • We have our first Eagle Scout.
  • We have another Scout with an approval from the Council to start his Eagle Project.
  • We have two more Life Scouts who will be working on Eagle projects within the year.
  • We now have tents, phenomenal camp stoves, dining fly sets, axes, sports equipment and some extra supplies to use for those who may not have their own personal camping equipment (we still need a good Troop trailer though!).
  • We have had a Scout earn the BSA National Medal of Merit for life-saving actions.
  • We logged 530 hours of service during 2012, with over 80% of that being within the Evansville Circuits of the LCMS.
  • We now have 19 registered young men in three patrols (Jackalope, Wolves and Piranha).
  • We had both patrols attending Summer Camp in 2011 earn Honor Patrol status at OBSR... the first time we ever went!
  • We staged our own Summer Camp in St. Louis at BSA Camp Beumont in 2012 (We also attended a large LCMS church in Des Peres, Missouri also where we were welcomed by the congregation).
  • We have camped a lot of places and seen a lot of things.
  • We applied for our first Philmont Trek for 2014 but unfortunately did not get pulled in the random selection process.
  • We are now planning for a Philmont Trek in 2015.
  • We had three boys attend National Youth Leadership Training in 2012 with one of our youth on staff.
  • We have a youth on staff for the same NYLT program this year.
  • We have a Scout attending the inaugural 2013 National Jamboree at Summit Bechtel who is a Patrol Leader within that contingent.
  • We have custom neckerchiefs in the colors of the school which hold Luther's Seal and the five Solas in Latin.
I will add to this list in a few minutes as a lot unfolded for us in the last two weeks.
The purple neckerchief is for the Troop, the yellow one for
the Cub Scout Pack

About two weeks ago, thanks to some donors within two LCMS congregations, we were able to complete all of our essential equipment purchases. That took a great weight off my shoulders and marked a milestone for the troop. The Troop and I are VERY thankful for this.

Last week we attended Summer Resource Camp at Old Ben Scout Reservation. We reorganized the boys into two new patrols for camp so that we could shake things up with some temporary patrol leaders and reorganization. The goal... reinforce patrol method, teamwork, and managing hectic schedules. At this camp, you gain points for participation in a wide variety of challenges. You get more points for winning challenges. All of this leads toward awards at the end of camp for the three top scoring patrols.

Mike Eppler and Jay Coy have done an amazing job for the last seven years setting up and running this resource camp. Jay keeps the point scores very quiet until the end of camp.

There are also patches distributed for "Honor Patrols." These are patrols that score above a preset level of points throughout the week. Everyone attending gets a very colorful camp patch. Those in patrols making enough points to be Honor Patrols get a "ghosted" patch of a single color as well.

The challenges are things like participating in events, scoring in the Top Shot competition, playing in water games, having the best patrol stave, using pioneering skills and knots to build a campsite gateway, having the best patrol spirit and many more. It requires team work and ability to split up also.

The patrol staves are interesting in themselves. The patrols make a flag for this blank stick. They decorate it. Throughout the week, as they participate in challenges, they get any number of items and trinkets that hang from the stave. It has to go anywhere in camp that the patrol goes.

We put five of our younger Scouts in one patrol. They called themselves the "Crazy Eights."

The four older boys attending (two Star Scouts and two Life Scouts) reorganized into the "Random" patrol.

It is hard to get points for every possible activity while trying to win a few as well to get the extra points. The schedule is purposefully designed to overlap to make the boys, delegate, plan, take advantage of strengths of certain scouts and also allowing scouts to get to the events they really want to get to do... all within a schedule filled with merit badge opportunities.

During that final nights campfire we learned that once again, both of our patrols had made Honor Patrol status. I was elated for them. It warms the Scoutmaster's heart to know that a three year old troop can pull this off. I was not prepared for what happened next.

I had thought that the Random Patrol might have a shot at 3rd place for overall "Outstanding Patrol." They announced the 3rd place patrol and it was not one of ours from 310. No biggie, we had still performed well with two honor patrols. I turned off the camera and put it away.

They announced 2nd place. We applauded.

Then I heard: "The first place Outstanding Patrol for the 2013 Old Ben Scout Reservation Summer Resource
 Camp 2013 is... Troop 310 Random Patrol!"

I dropped the camera.

Those four boys obviously did not hear it. They were still sitting! I sent the word down the line... "GO!"

They jumped up, not sure of what had just happened. Then it dawned on them. They went to the front of the campfire stage and accepted their winning plaque. They each also got a first place bead necklace and their choice of a BSA knife.

Once again, I was more than happy. I have watched this group for nearly three years now... forming, storming, norming... and finally PERFORMING. They were able to adapt into a group of four that took on the challenges and succeeded (against patrols that in some cases numbered six to eight boys).

The night before, one of our Scouts who serves as the Troop Chaplain's Aide had led us through an awesome devotional with well connected readings and prayer that he had readied for a smaller troop level campfire at our site. It was a great opportunity to listen, expound and discuss our faith.

The "Duty to God" does not start or end with the BSA. The BSA just enforces it as an important responsibility in our lives. This scout made a great verbal connection that a good devotional assures that the Gospel is in the message. He stated it frankly and with authority. Several nodded quietly.

Random Patrol
These really are not boys... they are young men. One hundred and fifty years ago, boys of their age might be already working very hard jobs or even supporting elderly parents as the overall breadwinner for the family unit. These boys know how to lead and they know how to work. I would describe them as "strong" in faith as well.

Following the closing campfire, the traditional Order of the Arrow call-out was held. The OA is the BSA's National Honor Camping Society. Two young men from the Random patrol were called-out into membership along with one of our adult leaders (my wife... who I have not yet blogged about but will soon). You are only elected to the OA by your peers and they are told to vote based upon your character and ideals.

We are all home now... well, most of us anyway. I have another scout in the unit who is still up at the same scout camp on staff for the BSA National Youth Leadership Training Course. My wife is up there too serving as a camp cook and health officer. Next week we will be doing Boards of Review for rank advancement as these boys get closer to the goal of becoming an Eagle Scout.

Being in Scouting is about being busy and making an impact. For me it is a support mechanism for a personal ministry that also happens to include the outdoors and the teaching of life skills. To me, the fact that we are chartered through an LCMS school and try to serve as many LCMS congregations as we can is no accident.

The BSA is in the media at the moment. Reactions to the new membership policy are varied. I have wanted to tell this story for a long time, but with the events of the past three weeks (both nationally and within our unit) I felt now was the time.

The future is before us. I do not know what tomorrow will bring. I am hopeful. I am worried. I am still doing my job as a Scoutmaster. I will do my job with these youth. But I also need to assure everyone engaged in this endeavor knows... As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord.

Where he leads, I will follow. There is no crisis of Faith for me in this. My Faith is firm. If we are able to
Several of the young men of Evansville Lutheran
Troop 310
keep our scouting units, I will rejoice and move forward, working as our charter organization desires. There are some great, spirit-led men in the LCMS working on the decisions that will be made.

If not, I am sure I will have a period of great remorse, but I will follow whatever those who are far more learned in Theology than I decide. I am loyal to Scouting... but I am also purchased at a great price, the blood of my Savior Jesus Christ. I am reminded of this and comforted each time my lips touch the cup.

In this I will always rejoice.

Life Scout Michael Turpen
I care greatly for these young men. My hope is that I will continue to serve through being their adult leader in this "game with a purpose" (Lord Baden-Powell). They all do very well in this game and get better each day.

We have several closing in on Eagle... at least four at the time of this writing including my son, Michael.

If not, I am sure that I will be guided in my next role, just as I feel I was guided to this one.

Please give thanks in all that you do. Remain focused and help someone along their road tomorrow. Not because you have to help though. Baden-Powell once said, "Boys have to learn to do good without reward." We are thankful for the ability to serve and expect no merit from it for it is the right thing to do.

Till next time on the 4F trail that is this blog, may His blessings be with you.

Lee (Scoutmaster... one of many vocations).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to discussion and views. Please remember to be polite. Thanks!